Sunday, January 18, 2009

We are the change!

Wow, can I just gloat for a minute about having the best job in the entire world? My time at Gatzert with Treehouse has been so formative and inspiring. I swear, I learn more from these kiddos than they do from me.

Friday I was given the opportunity to walk with my kids during their annual MLK march to Jefferson and around 13th back to school. They had made signs that said stuff from "peace" to "don't drink and drive" and what they deemed other important messages. On the flipside, half had decorated their signs with pictures of Obama and the others had MLK's face glued onto their rulers. The entire school, Kindergarten-5th grade, teacher, principals, custodial staff, lunchladies, volunteers, etc marched together for peace and remembrance. It was a beautiful thing. One of my kids, Rosy, held my hand and we yelled "We can do it! Yes we can!" the entire half hour. It really charged me to see a sea of kids in front of me and behind me yelling "We are the change!" and sincerely believing it! For so many of them, they've been broken by "the system" and have been labeled as dumb or troublemakers or not worth it. For this half an hour, every student believed in him/herself and each other and it brought tears to my eyes to witness that. I am so proud of them and so energized at the beauty of these kids. Their hearts are in the right place, and I think we can all learn from that.

Enlightened and inspired,
R-

No comments: