This evening I was kidnapped by my cousin and whisked away to Queen Anne for a living room concert by a guy named Jon Troast. She had heard him play this summer and called me immediately after the performance, raving about his music and how I would love him and how I needed to be at the next concert he gave. She was in LOVE with this guy's music, who apparently sounded like a mix between Jack Johnson and Damien Rice. Hmm. I believed her, she has good taste in music, but I was thinking to myself that the last thing the indie music scene needs is another person who sounds just like Jack Johnson.
Anyways, after months of "Jon Troast, oh man, you'll love him, please come see him," I grabbed the opportunity tonight. And. Was. Blown. The eff. Away. Ok, this guy is awesome. He hails from Wisconsin and after some experience playing in coffee shops, parties, and bars decided that he was craving a relationship with his audience--one where his music was appreciated by people he could get to know in an intimate setting. Thus began his living room tour, where he plays in people's living rooms for 100 dollars a pop and basically couch hops his way down the West Coast. He's really personable and funny and invites the audience to partake in the performance, which is really honest and beautiful. He reminded me a lot of James Taylor with his throaty voice and he played very beautiful guitar and piano. I loved it. His lyrics are clever and relate-able and the hour went by so, so fast. Next time he comes through town, he's playing in my living room and I'm inviting everyone I know.
So, check out his website. If you sign up for his email list, you can download one of his cd's for free so that's pretty snappy incentive to give him some of your time. It'll be a moment well spent.
Enjoying the view from the "second story,"
R-
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment